Connect with us

Wire

Biden Admin Wants North Korea to Talk Nuclear Disarmament; North Korea Responds With Ballistic Missile

Western Journal

Published

on

President Joe Biden has made it clear he’s taking a different tack than the administration of former President Donald Trump when it comes to North Korea: No big moves, but they want Pyongyang to sit down at the table and start talking nuclear disarmament.

“If there was a commitment on which we met, then I would meet with [Kim],” Biden said during a joint news conference with South Korean President Moon Jae-in in May, according to CNBC. “And the commitment has to be that there is discussion about his nuclear arsenal.”

Meanwhile in August, the U.S. special envoy for North Korea, Sung Kim, told the Kim regime that they were willing — and, from the sounds of things, even eager — to meet about North Korean denuclearization, according to The Associated Press.

“I continue to stand ready to meet with my North Korean counterpart at anywhere and at any time,” Sung Kim said.

take our poll - story continues below

Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?

  • Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

The North Korean regime hasn’t saved the date. Far from it, actually: The hermit despotism has ratcheted up military pressure in response — including a Tuesday test of what appeared to be a ballistic missile aimed into the East Sea off the coast of Japan.

According to The Hill, details weren’t immediately available.

“The intelligence authorities of South Korea and the United States are currently conducting a thorough analysis regarding additional details on the missile,” the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a text message to reporters, according to the Korea Herald.

However, the Herald reported the projectile appeared to be a submarine-launched ballistic missile originating from Sinpo, where North Korea’s submarines are based.

The Japan Times, meanwhile, characterized it as part of North Korea’s “frenetic pace of weapons tests” and noted the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command called it a “North Korean ballistic missile launch” and said the Kim regime should halt “further destabilizing acts.”

The paper also reported there had been two launches, not one — although both had fallen outside of Japan’s exclusive economic zone, which encompasses the area 200 nautical miles from its shores.

This “frenetic pace” includes the test of a hypersonic missile in September, according to Bloomberg. It was one of three new weapons systems the country tested. The hypersonic missiles were the most worrying, given that they could likely evade American defenses.

After the test of an anti-aircraft missile in September, Kim Jong-un said the Biden administration’s nuclear dialogue proposal was a “petty trick” and the United States represented a “fundamental danger” to the world.

In terms of Tuesday’s test, the splashdown point sent an unmistakable message to another U.S. ally in the region, Japan, which is preparing for crucial elections Oct. 31.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida canceled campaign events for the day and returned to Tokyo to helm the response to the test.

“North Korea’s remarkable nuclear and missile technology development is something we cannot overlook,” he would tell reporters later in the day, according to the Japan Times.

“Amid this situation, I’ve already given instructions to revise our country’s National Security Strategy, including considering the option of acquiring the capability to strike enemy bases.”

The launch also came as the United States hosted talks with the top nuclear envoys from Japan and South Korea, during which Sung Kim reiterated the United States has “no hostile intent” toward and was “prepared to work cooperatively with” North Korea on humanitarian issues, the Japan Times reported.

“We will seek diplomacy with the DPRK to make tangible progress that increases the security of the United States and our allies,” Kim said, according to the Japan Times. “This includes considering potential engagement with the DPRK to reduce tensions.”

My guess is the answer toward that is a hard no. We’ll know more tomorrow; the Japan Times reported North Korea typically releases official details surrounding its tests one day after they take place.

However, this could be another breakthrough in North Korea’s missile technology — and that would be a huge blow to the Biden administration’s policy toward North Korea, particularly coming so soon after the disastrous withdrawal in Afghanistan.

There are two certainties, however, one following the other.

The first is that North Korea isn’t coming back to the table at the moment the Biden administration plans to get them to sit down. As the United States and its allies are meeting in Washington, D.C., to talk about how to denuclearize North Korea, North Korea is responding with a missile or two.

I’d say that’s not a good sign.

The second is that North Korea isn’t going away. The Biden administration may not want to engage with Pyongyang the way former President Donald Trump did. Pyongyang, however, wants to engage in the world the same way they used to — and that’s becoming ever more dangerous.

Yet again, it seems, Biden’s talk-tough rhetoric has come up against reality — and reality is winning.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Wire

State Trooper Came Mere Inches from Losing His Life, Dashcam Caught the Whole Thing

Western Journal

Published

on

Every cop knows that death rides with him on every patrol, emerging out of nowhere when a shift may seem routine.

For one Idaho state trooper, that moment almost came on Wednesday along Interstate 84 near the town of Meridian, according to the Idaho Stateman.

Dashcam video of the incident shows that in less time than it takes to read this sentence, the trooper and a motorist he was helping on the shoulder of the highway had to jump over a concrete median as a pickup truck came barreling toward them.

According to an Idaho State Police news release, the trooper had been helping a motorist with a flat tire.

The officer was wearing a yellow safety vest. His patrol car had its emergency lights on and was parked behind the Toyota with the flat tire.

What the dashcam video does not show was described in the release.

“One vehicle began to slow prior to passing the patrol car. That vehicle was hit by another, causing a chain reaction of four eastbound vehicles,” the release said.

But that was not all.

“Two involved pickups were pushed left, sideswiping the parked patrol car and hitting the rear of the Toyota.”

The trooper was taken to a hospital with injuries sustained when he vaulted the concrete barrier, but was sent home with what the release called “minor injuries.”

The owner of the wrecked Toyota was also injured leaping out of the truck’s way, but was not taken to a hospital.

The wreckage from the chain reaction crash blocked the highway for about 90 minutes.

“Traffic stops are very high risk. They’re necessary to keep people safe on the road and to help those stranded, but we need motorists’ help so we can all go home at night,” Idaho State Police Sgt. Brandalyn Crapo said.

“Slowing down and moving over for emergency vehicles and workers isn’t just a courtesy, it’s the law. Drivers need to be alert to emergency lights and vehicles and always alert to what’s happening around them. That keeps all of us safe.”

Idaho law requires drivers to slow down, change lanes or both when passing police and other emergency vehicles that are stopped on the roadway.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Every cop knows that death rides with him on every patrol, emerging out of nowhere when a shift may seem routine. For one Idaho state trooper, that moment almost came on Wednesday along Interstate 84 near the town of Meridian, according to the Idaho Stateman. Dashcam video of the incident shows that in less time than it takes to read this sentence, the trooper and a motorist he was helping on the shoulder of the highway had to jump over a concrete median as a pickup truck came barreling toward them. Idaho State Trooper injured while helping man on the freeway. Notice how quickly the trooper jumped in front of the man. pic.twitter.com/2TuCTIYGdE — Yoshi The Patriot (@rinohuntah) December 3, 2021 According to an Idaho State Police news release, the trooper had been helping a motorist with a flat tire. The officer was wearing a yellow safety vest. His patrol car had its emergency lights on and was parked behind the Toyota with the flat tire. What the dashcam video does not show was described in the release. “One vehicle began to slow prior to passing the patrol car. That vehicle was hit by another, causing a chain reaction of four eastbound vehicles,” the release said. But that was not all. “Two involved pickups were pushed left, sideswiping the parked patrol car and hitting the rear of the Toyota.” The trooper was taken to a hospital with injuries sustained when he vaulted the concrete barrier, but was sent home with what the release called “minor injuries.” The owner of the wrecked Toyota was also injured leaping out of the truck’s way, but was not taken to a hospital. The wreckage from the chain reaction crash blocked the highway for about 90 minutes. “Traffic stops are very high risk. They’re necessary…

Continue Reading

Wire

Store Apologizes After Employee Sign with Instructions on How to Deal with Africans Goes Public

Western Journal

Published

on

An Australian store has been forced to apologize for a sign that warned staff to sound an alert if an African customer entered the store.

An IGA store in Melbourne was pilloried on social media because of a sign behind the counter that read, “If an African customer comes to the bottle shop, presses [sic] the button for assistant immediately! Minimum two staffs in front while we serve Africans,” the sign read, according to Australia’s News.com.au.

In its reporting on the sign, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. said the sign had been in place for three years before it was noticed by anyone and became a social media furor.

“Sure they’re independently owned but the African community should be allowed to feel safe and comfortable at their local supermarket,” a TikTok comment read.

The ABC report quoted the store manager, who it did not name, as offering apologies for any offense.

“We don’t really mean for this, we apologize for what we’ve done. I’m sorry it will never happen again like that,” he said. “I’ve done the wrong thing for the public, we should not do like this.”

The manager said he should have told employees to hit the button if they saw a group of strangers in the store.

“It is my mistake. Big mistake,” he said.

A poster using the name Jack he on Twitter said he was the store manager and offered an explanation.

“Im store manager iGA sunshine west, we got robbed by 5 African men, one of the staff had a gun put to our head, we were scared, Im sorry for that i done,i told the ABC news all the reason behind this, But i don’t see any main point been reported, this is unfair, unfair news,” he tweeted.

ABC reported that a spokesperson for wholesaler Metcash, which operates the IGAs, said the company had the offending sign removed.

“This type of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated in any IGA store across the country,” a spokesman said.

“As part of our ongoing commitment to supporting local communities across Australia, we will ensure ALL IGA employees continue to create a shopping environment where all are welcome and equal,” the spokesman said.

The store now has a new note.

“We would like to apologies [sic] to anyone that got offended by the note we had … it was not our intention to offend,” the note says.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

An Australian store has been forced to apologize for a sign that warned staff to sound an alert if an African customer entered the store. An IGA store in Melbourne was pilloried on social media because of a sign behind the counter that read, “If an African customer comes to the bottle shop, presses [sic] the button for assistant immediately! Minimum two staffs in front while we serve Africans,” the sign read, according to Australia’s News.com.au. In its reporting on the sign, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. said the sign had been in place for three years before it was noticed by anyone and became a social media furor. “Sure they’re independently owned but the African community should be allowed to feel safe and comfortable at their local supermarket,” a TikTok comment read. ‘Completely unacceptable’: IGA supermarket under fire for sign racially profiling African customers https://t.co/83nMJg7SgU — Natalie Spencer (@natscloset) December 2, 2021 The ABC report quoted the store manager, who it did not name, as offering apologies for any offense. “We don’t really mean for this, we apologize for what we’ve done. I’m sorry it will never happen again like that,” he said. “I’ve done the wrong thing for the public, we should not do like this.” The manager said he should have told employees to hit the button if they saw a group of strangers in the store. “It is my mistake. Big mistake,” he said. A poster using the name Jack he on Twitter said he was the store manager and offered an explanation. “Im store manager iGA sunshine west, we got robbed by 5 African men, one of the staff had a gun put to our head, we were scared, Im sorry for that i done,i told the ABC news all the reason behind this, But i don’t see any…

Continue Reading
The Schaftlein Report

Latest Articles

Best of the Week