Connect with us

Wire

Biden Reverses Trump Decision, Seizes Nearly 2 Million Acres to Expand Federal Land

Western Journal

Published

on

On Friday, President Joe Biden announced his plans to redesignate nearly two million acres of land as national monuments. Despite attempts by many to paint the move as a positive development, it is another clear example of overreach by the federal government.

According to a Thursday news release from the Department of the Interior, Biden plans to “restore protections” to the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments in Utah.

Former President Barack Obama designated Bears Ears National Monument in 2016 after pressure from tribal nations, the department said. The monument originally spanned 1.35 million acres, all of which were under the supervision of the Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service.

Grand Staircase-Escalante was established as a national monument in 1996 by former President Bill Clinton. After three adjustments from Congress, the monument came to encompass 1.87 million acres.

take our poll - story continues below

Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?

  • Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

In 2017, former President Donald Trump announced the significant reduction of both monuments. Bears Ears National Monument was reduced to 228,000 acres, and Grand Staircase-Escalante was cut nearly in half to about 1 million acres.

At the time, NPR reported that many Native Americans were upset by Trump’s decision.

“The Navajo Nation has made repeated requests to meet with President Trump on this issue,” Navajo Nation president Russell Begaye said in a statement. “The Bears Ears Monument is of critical importance, not only to the Navajo Nation but to many tribes in the region.”

However, Trump made clear that the move was not meant to strip land from Native Americans, but rather to put decisions about the land back in the hands of the people who live there.

Do you agree with Biden's decision to return this land to the federal government?

“No one values the splendor of Utah more than you do … and no one knows better how to use it,” Trump told a crowd in Utah during the announcement of the reduction.

Trump did not make the decision on his own, either. He had the support of Utah Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee, according to NPR.

By reducing the amount of land controlled by the federal government, Trump gave the people of Utah — including Native Americans — control over land that was rightfully theirs.

Nonetheless, Biden felt the need to undo Trump’s work and bring the land back under federal control. Predictably, the Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition praised the move.

“By taking this action, President Biden will be recognizing the deep and enduring ancestral and cultural connections that Tribes have to this landscape and taking a step toward honoring his commitment to Indigenous People by acknowledging their original place in this country that is now our shared home,” the group said in a statement.

“The Bears Ears Intertribal Coalition looks forward to the President’s continued leadership in ensuring that a new model of collaborative management between the Tribes, state and federal land agencies is immediately put into action and that a comprehensive Land Management Plan can be developed for the greater Bears Ears landscape.”

The problem with that statement is that the federal government should not have a say in those conversations. Instead, Native Americans should be working directly with the state of Utah to develop plans for the land.

This is not the first time during the Biden administration that bureaucrats have signaled their lust for more land and power. Last month, the Interior Department announced plans to relocate the headquarters of the Bureau of Land Management to Washington, D.C.

Trump had previously moved BLM headquarters from D.C. to Grand Junction, Colorado. Its relocation back to Washington hints at its increased ties to the political elite under the Biden administration.

“There’s no doubt that the BLM should have a leadership presence in Washington, D.C. — like all the other land management agencies — to ensure that it has access to the policy-, budget-, and decision-making levers to best carry out its mission,” Interior Secretary Deb Haaland said in a statement.

Contrary to leftist belief, not everything needs to be federalized.

Instead of letting the state of Utah consult with Native American organizations and other groups with a vested interest to determine the best use of its land, Biden has once again turned to federal government expansion as the solution.

If recent actions are any indication, the Biden administration does not plan to stop its land-grabbing any time soon.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Wire

Former ICE Director Blasts Biden CBP Nominee, Calls Him ‘Perfect Choice’ for Open Borders

Western Journal

Published

on

The former acting director of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spoke out Thursday against President Joe Biden’s nominee to lead U.S. Customs and Border Protection, calling him the “perfect choice” for open borders advocates.

Tom Homan, who led ICE during part of the Trump administration, shared his remarks during an interview on “Fox & Friends,” following a Senate Finance Committee confirmation hearing for Chris Magnus, Biden’s pick for CBP commissioner.

“I was a little disappointed in the hearing. I thought he should have gotten hammered more. If it were the Trump nominee, they would have been all over them,” Homan said.

Homan also revealed that Magnus, currently chief of police in Tucson, Arizona, has not cooperated with ICE officers and agents in the past.

take our poll - story continues below

Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?

  • Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

“He is pro-sanctuary cities, refused to work with ICE when he was the chief in Tucson when I was the director, he refused to work with a lot of special agents and officers and even though his officers wanted to and they tried to behind the scenes, he ordered them not to assist immigration authorities,” Homan added.

Homan noted Magnus remains an avid critic of former President Donald Trump who has called the former president’s policies “inhumane.”

“He went against Donald Trump from day one, said his policies were inhumane, and bottom line, he fails to recognize that Donald Trump created the most secure border in my lifetime,” Homan said.

He sarcastically noted that Magnus is ideal for the Biden administration if it intends to push for open borders.

“He is the perfect choice for this administration if this administration wants open borders. He’s the worst choice for the men and women of CBP who simply want to do their job and secure the border,” Homan said.

The Magnus nomination process comes as CBP data obtained by The Washington Post showed that 1.7 million people were detained along the border during the federal 2021 fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30. Arrests by Border Patrol agents hit their highest level ever recorded, according to the report.

The data set includes the final months of the Trump administration.

Since President Joe Biden took office, 1.3 million illegal immigrants have been detained, the report said.

On Tuesday, Magnus responded the spike in immigration numbers represented a “significant challenge” and “the numbers are very high.” He repeatedly avoided characterizing the surge at the border as a “crisis” despite persistent questioning, Fox News reported.

In response to the illegal immigration crisis and the Biden administration’s lack of action, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas has drafted what he called the “Stop the SURGE Act,” legislation that would open up new ports of entry in Democratic strongholds, so those areas could share in what Texas border towns are experiencing.

The locations are in Delaware, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, and California.

“For the past ten months, President Biden and his administration have willingly surrendered the United States’ southern border to dangerous criminal cartels, with no thought given to the South Texas border communities like McAllen and Del Rio, which are running low on resources from dealing with this massive influx of illegal immigrants,” Cruz said in a statement released Tuesday.

“That’s why today I am introducing this crucial legislation to alleviate the massive overload at the southern border by establishing new ports of entry in Democrat-led communities such as North Hero, Vermont, where Bernie Sanders spends his summers, and Martha’s Vineyard, where Democrat elites host their cocktail parties.

“If Washington Democrats had to endure even a fraction of the suffering South Texas families, farmers, ranchers, and small businesses have had to face, our nation’s immigration laws would be enforced, the wall would be built, and the Remain in Mexico policy would be re-implemented. I urge my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to stop ignoring the plight of South Texas communities and act swiftly to end this horrific humanitarian crisis.”

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

The former acting director of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spoke out Thursday against President Joe Biden’s nominee to lead U.S. Customs and Border Protection, calling him the “perfect choice” for open borders advocates. Tom Homan, who led ICE during part of the Trump administration, shared his remarks during an interview on “Fox & Friends,” following a Senate Finance Committee confirmation hearing for Chris Magnus, Biden’s pick for CBP commissioner. “I was a little disappointed in the hearing. I thought he should have gotten hammered more. If it were the Trump nominee, they would have been all over them,” Homan said. Homan also revealed that Magnus, currently chief of police in Tucson, Arizona, has not cooperated with ICE officers and agents in the past. “He is pro-sanctuary cities, refused to work with ICE when he was the chief in Tucson when I was the director, he refused to work with a lot of special agents and officers and even though his officers wanted to and they tried to behind the scenes, he ordered them not to assist immigration authorities,” Homan added. Watch the latest video at foxnews.com Homan noted Magnus remains an avid critic of former President Donald Trump who has called the former president’s policies “inhumane.” “He went against Donald Trump from day one, said his policies were inhumane, and bottom line, he fails to recognize that Donald Trump created the most secure border in my lifetime,” Homan said. He sarcastically noted that Magnus is ideal for the Biden administration if it intends to push for open borders. “He is the perfect choice for this administration if this administration wants open borders. He’s the worst choice for the men and women of CBP who simply want to do their job and secure the border,” Homan said. The Magnus…

Continue Reading

Wire

Boat Explodes on Maiden Voyage, Onlookers Scramble in Shocking Rescue

Western Journal

Published

on

A man and woman had a close brush with death on Oct. 13 when their newly purchased boat exploded during its first time out in Islamadora, Florida.

Officer Bobby Dube with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission told the Miami Herald that the couple was new to the area and had recently bought the boat. While the boat itself was no spring chicken — it was identified as a 26-foot, 1989 Carver — it was the couple’s first and last trip out on the vessel.



A nearby boater and good Samaritan was able to pick up the two after their craft exploded, and while the woman suffered some burns to her leg, the man appeared to be fine.

The dispatch report from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office recorded that a 911 call came in at 2:10 p.m., and by 2:14 p.m., another caller informed them that the boat had exploded.

take our poll - story continues below

Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?

  • Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

That wasn’t the end of the trouble, either. The two people were rescued, but the burning wreckage drifted close to Whale Harbor Bridge and the surrounding marinas, still spewing an enormous column of black smoke.



“With the good Samaritan rescuing the two people, our biggest concern was keeping the vessel from drifting toward other boats in the area and the mangroves,” U.S. Coast Petty Officer Second Class Logan Venero with Station Islamorada said.

The smoke was so heavy it caused visibility issues on the bridge, and traffic was stopped at one point. At around 2:30 p.m., the US Coast Guard managed to tow the remains of the destroyed boat to a nearby sandbar, where they tied it to a flag to be retrieved and disposed of later by the owner.



“Station Islamorada responded to a report of a vessel fire in the vicinity of the Whale Harbor bridge,” U.S. Coast Guard Station Islamadora posted on Facebook. “A nearby Good Samaritan recovered the two people on board. The boat crew, led by Petty Officer Venero, used the … response boat’s anchor to pull the burning vessel clear of the bridge and mangroves.

“Their quick thinking averted the situation from worsening and prevented the fire from impacting traffic on Overseas Highway or spreading to the mangroves. Our crew then transported the survivors back to land where one was treated by EMS for minor burns.



“This incident is a great reminder to make sure your fire extinguishers are serviceable and accessible [in] case of emergencies.

“Photo by Petty Officer Smith of Petty Officers Jones and Sayre helping to pull the vessel burning vessel clear. Also involved were SN Zins and Petty Officer Barber, who rigged and readied the response boat’s firefighting pump.”



While it certainly wasn’t a pleasant welcome to the area for the couple, they were blessed to have made it out of the disaster with minor injuries.

The explosion caused quite a spectacle, and many locals are using it as a reminder that disasters happen when you least expect them and to make sure your emergency equipment is always at the ready.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

A man and woman had a close brush with death on Oct. 13 when their newly purchased boat exploded during its first time out in Islamadora, Florida. Officer Bobby Dube with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission told the Miami Herald that the couple was new to the area and had recently bought the boat. While the boat itself was no spring chicken — it was identified as a 26-foot, 1989 Carver — it was the couple’s first and last trip out on the vessel. A nearby boater and good Samaritan was able to pick up the two after their craft exploded, and while the woman suffered some burns to her leg, the man appeared to be fine. The dispatch report from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office recorded that a 911 call came in at 2:10 p.m., and by 2:14 p.m., another caller informed them that the boat had exploded. That wasn’t the end of the trouble, either. The two people were rescued, but the burning wreckage drifted close to Whale Harbor Bridge and the surrounding marinas, still spewing an enormous column of black smoke. “With the good Samaritan rescuing the two people, our biggest concern was keeping the vessel from drifting toward other boats in the area and the mangroves,” U.S. Coast Petty Officer Second Class Logan Venero with Station Islamorada said. The smoke was so heavy it caused visibility issues on the bridge, and traffic was stopped at one point. At around 2:30 p.m., the US Coast Guard managed to tow the remains of the destroyed boat to a nearby sandbar, where they tied it to a flag to be retrieved and disposed of later by the owner. “Station Islamorada responded to a report of a vessel fire in the vicinity…

Continue Reading
The Schaftlein Report

Latest Articles

Best of the Week