Connect with us

Politics

Biden’s DOJ Looks to Block Barr’s ‘Obstruction’ Memo, Angering Democrats

Pundits and progressives were not fond of the decision.

Published

on

Donald Trump has remained a target of the modern Democratic Party, even after he’s left the White House and been banned from most major social media platforms.  But this week, a strange move by the Department of Justice has some on the left wondering why the White House appears to be protecting the former President.

At the center of the controversy is a memo from the desk of former Attorney General Bill Barr, regarding the DOJ’s decisions regarding former President Donald Trump’s alleged “obstruction of justice” during the infamous RussiaGate investigation.  A court had previously decided that this memo should be released to the public, but the Biden administration is now looking to block at least some of that information from going public.

The Justice Department released a portion of an internal memo cited by former leaders as part of their decision concluding that former President Donald Trump did not obstruct justice, but in a court filing late Monday said it would seek to block the full document from release.

The move is certain to disappoint watchdog groups and Biden administration allies in Congress, who have called for transparency about alleged wrongdoing in the Trump years — and accountability for officials who allegedly abused their power.

Democratic Sens. Dick Durbin and Sheldon Whitehouse recently wrote to new Attorney General Merrick Garland, urging him to end the court battle and make the document public “in order to help rebuild the nation’s trust in DOJ’s independence after four years of turmoil.”

The lawsuit filed by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, or CREW, is one of the first public tests of how new Justice Department leaders will handle questionable activity by their predecessors. During the presidential campaign, then-candidate Joe Biden had an uneasy reaction to the idea of a federal case against Trump.

Democrats and left-leaning pundits were up in arms over the decision on Tuesday, urging the Biden administration to change their mind and allow the release of the complete document.

Opinion

Russia Now Holding Global Grain Supply for Ransom in Ukraine

The Kremlin is running out of ideas.

Published

on

With his Ukrainian invasion now looking positively comical in its execution, Russian dictator Vladimir Putin needs a new angle to remain relevant on the world’s stage.  All of the fear that he manufactured regarding his “potent” military has been washed away by the reality on the ground in Ukraine, essentially poking a major hole in his boogeyman routine.

And so now, in a desperate plea for import, the Kremlin is looking to hold the global grain supply hostage. 

Russia will lift its blockade of the Black Sea and once again allow grain to be exported from Ukraine once Western nations lift sanctions, the country’s Deputy Foreign Minister has said.

With millions of tons of grain stuck in Ukraine due to Russia blockading the Black Sea, Western powers have been formulating various plans and schemes to get food exports once again flowing out of Ukraine.

But then came a rather tacit admission.

However, the Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia, Andrei Rudenko, has made clear the restriction of the food supply is a power play by Moscow, saying the flow of food so badly needed by the developing world will only resume once sanctions are lifted on Russia.

According to a report by Russian state news agency Interfax, Rudenko said that Moscow was “ready for dialogue” regarding allowing the export of food from Ukraine, but that an agreement on the issue could only be reached via concessions from the West.

“We have repeatedly commented on the matter [of grain exports] and said that a resolution of the food problem would require a comprehensive approach, including the lifting of sanctions imposed on Russian exports and financial transactions,” the agency reports Rudenko as saying, having also emphasised that Russia was supposedly ready to talk to anyone seeking “a peaceful resolution of all problems”.

“Russia is ready to provide the necessary humanitarian passage, as it is doing every day,” he went on to say.

Russia’s economy is on the brink of total meltdown, as the crippling sanctions have made it near impossible for Russia to pay its debts, and the US is now set to force the nation’s first default in 105 years.

 

With his Ukrainian invasion now looking positively comical in its execution, Russian dictator Vladimir Putin needs a new angle to remain relevant on the world’s stage.  All of the fear that he manufactured regarding his “potent” military has been washed away by the reality on the ground in Ukraine, essentially poking a major hole in his boogeyman routine. And so now, in a desperate plea for import, the Kremlin is looking to hold the global grain supply hostage.  Russia will lift its blockade of the Black Sea and once again allow grain to be exported from Ukraine once Western nations lift sanctions, the country’s Deputy Foreign Minister has said. With millions of tons of grain stuck in Ukraine due to Russia blockading the Black Sea, Western powers have been formulating various plans and schemes to get food exports once again flowing out of Ukraine. But then came a rather tacit admission. However, the Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia, Andrei Rudenko, has made clear the restriction of the food supply is a power play by Moscow, saying the flow of food so badly needed by the developing world will only resume once sanctions are lifted on Russia. According to a report by Russian state news agency Interfax, Rudenko said that Moscow was “ready for dialogue” regarding allowing the export of food from Ukraine, but that an agreement on the issue could only be reached via concessions from the West. “We have repeatedly commented on the matter [of grain exports] and said that a resolution of the food problem would require a comprehensive approach, including the lifting of sanctions imposed on Russian exports and financial transactions,” the agency reports Rudenko as saying, having also emphasised that Russia was supposedly ready to talk to anyone seeking “a peaceful resolution of all problems”. “Russia is…

Continue Reading

Opinion

AOC Wants Masculinity Examined After Texas School Massacre

This may not be AOC’s most cogent argument surrounding the Second Amendment, but it certainly did provide a good laugh. 

Published

on

In the wake of this week’s elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, politicians have wasted no time jumping into the grim spotlight that the tragedy has provided, and some in rather self-serving ways.

We’ve seen our elected officials twist and spin the heinous shooting in all manner of directions, from the predictable calls for more security at our schools, to bringing back the assault weapon ban.

But, in her typically-tangential fashion, House Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has managed to squeeze some toxic masculinity into the conversation. 

Controversial Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez took aim at Congress and a patriarchal society in a social-media rant in the wake of the shooting at a Texas school that left 21 people dead.

“There’s so many different areas and issues where all of us agree – if not all, an overwhelming amount of us agree. And Congress still can’t get their s*** together,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a nearly hour-long video posted on her Instagram account.

Her suggestion was a bit out there for some.

Ocasio-Cortez also took aim at toxic masculinity that she said glorified aspects such as guns and violence. She told people to “check” the men in their life.

“It just feels like there’s very few role models and examples of people talking about this in healthy ways,” she said. “And it’s a big problem because there are a lot of crises.”

This may not be AOC’s most cogent argument surrounding the Second Amendment, but it certainly did provide a good laugh.

In the wake of this week’s elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, politicians have wasted no time jumping into the grim spotlight that the tragedy has provided, and some in rather self-serving ways. We’ve seen our elected officials twist and spin the heinous shooting in all manner of directions, from the predictable calls for more security at our schools, to bringing back the assault weapon ban. But, in her typically-tangential fashion, House Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has managed to squeeze some toxic masculinity into the conversation.  Controversial Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez took aim at Congress and a patriarchal society in a social-media rant in the wake of the shooting at a Texas school that left 21 people dead. “There’s so many different areas and issues where all of us agree – if not all, an overwhelming amount of us agree. And Congress still can’t get their s*** together,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a nearly hour-long video posted on her Instagram account. Her suggestion was a bit out there for some. Ocasio-Cortez also took aim at toxic masculinity that she said glorified aspects such as guns and violence. She told people to “check” the men in their life. “It just feels like there’s very few role models and examples of people talking about this in healthy ways,” she said. “And it’s a big problem because there are a lot of crises.” This may not be AOC’s most cogent argument surrounding the Second Amendment, but it certainly did provide a good laugh.

Continue Reading

Latest Articles

Best of the Week