Connect with us

Wire

Brian Laundrie Autopsy Deepens Mystery After Coroner Left Dumbfounded

Western Journal

Published

on

The search for fugitive Brian Laundrie has come to an end following the discovery of his remains on Wednesday, but the conclusion of the well-publicized manhunt has left significantly more questions than answers about what became of him and what role he played in the death of his fiancee Gabby Petito.

In addition to the possibility that Petito’s grieving parents may now never know what happened to their daughter, who was found strangled to death in Wyoming on Sep. 19, it appears the cause of Laundrie’s own death just got more mysterious as well.

The results of an autopsy of Laundrie’s remains, which were discovered in the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park near his parent’s Florida home on Wednesday, have been deemed inconclusive.

“No manner or cause of death was determined, and the remains were sent to an anthropologist for further evaluation,” the Laundrie family attorney, Steve Bertolino, told The New York Post on Friday.

take our poll - story continues below

Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?

  • Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Laundrie’s remains were discovered next to some of his belongings in a part of the nature reserve that had previously been under water. Authorities had been scouring the T. Mabry Carlton, Jr. Memorial Reserve and Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park since his parents, Chris and Roberta Laundrie, reported him missing in September.

The parents, who have remained absolutely mum at Bertolino’s behest, told police that they last saw their son on Sep. 13 after he left the house to hike at the reserve. They did not report him missing until Sep. 17, however.

A multi-state manhunt ensued in which even Dog the Bounty Hunter took part. Sightings of Brian were reported from Canada to Mexico and everywhere in between as speculation raged about where he could be hiding.

All along, the Laundries have been suspected of helping their son evade law enforcement. The Petitos say they were “stonewalled” by Brian and his parents when they began to worry about Gabby’s whereabouts after her fiance returned to the Florida home they shared with the Laundries without her.

Although authorities had been combing the nature reserve for weeks, once it was finally re-opened to the public, Chris and Roberta informed law enforcement that they wanted to search by themselves.

Within hours of the couple’s arrival at the park, Brian’s belongings had been found next to human remains, which were later identified as his using dental records.

Bertolino claimed it was simple “happenstance” that his parents were there at the same time that his remains were found, but this hasn’t quelled suspicions in the least that the couple has been covering for their son.

A source told CNN on Wednesday that the remains had been there for “a while.”

“Based on the condition of the remains, it may take some time to officially identify. It is going to be a very thorough process with the medical examiner,” the source told the outlet.

Although the remains were identified Thursday (you can’t ever put too much stock in what a CNN source says, after all), the cause of death is what appears to have left the medical examiner stumped.

Dr. Heather Walsh-Haney told WPBF-TV that forensic anthropologists are called upon when remains have been “ravaged” by the environment or soft tissue has been removed — “soft tissue markers that the forensic pathologist would use,” she said.

Florida archeologist Sara Ayers-Rigsby told WINK-TV that anthropologists will work with the medical examiner‘s office to identify “what kind of trauma might be associated with these remains.”

First, she said, they will have to “figure out or ascertain you know where, how far have and if these remains have been moved at all” by wildlife or floodwaters.

According to WINK, the FBI said that Laundrie’s remains had been under water for weeks.

“On the one hand, you might encounter better preservation, right, because the material isn’t exposed to oxygen, so that can perhaps help,” Ayers-Rigsby said. She added that, on the other hand, water can deteriorate remains as well, as could alligators, which are indeed in residence at the nature reserve.

She also explained that the forensic anthropologists will examine the area around where the remains were found to determine what may have happened.

“If an area is flooded, and it brings a lot of mud, that’s something that happens in a relatively short period of time. So they could be looking into what kind of sedimentation and what kind of soil processes are happening at the site,” she explained.

The discovery of Laundrie’s remains has not only posed a whole new onslaught of questions about this headline-grabbing case; it has also potentially robbed Petito’s family of closure.

The deceased 22-year-old’s parents reported Gabby missing on Sep. 11, nearly three weeks after they had last heard from her.

Petito and Laundrie spent the summer driving across the country in their van, documenting the journey for social media using the #vanlife hashtag.

Laundrie, however, inexplicably returned to Florida without Petito on Sep. 1. The couple had last been seen on Aug. 27 after Laundrie appeared to get into an altercation with a waitress in Wyoming.

The pair had previously interacted with law enforcement in Moab, Utah, on Aug. 12 after someone called 911 to report that a man had been hitting a woman. The bodycam footage of the couple’s respective conversations with police has been widely circulated.

Gabby’s body was found at a campground in Wyoming on Sep. 19. The cause of death was determined to have been homicide by strangulation.

The young woman’s disappearance and subsequently discovered murder captivated internet sleuths, in no small part due to the fact that the couple had documented so much of their life together over the summer on social media.

With the discovery of Brian’s remains and an inconclusive autopsy report, it’s doubtful anyone will be giving up their amateur detective hobby anytime soon.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Wire

State Trooper Came Mere Inches from Losing His Life, Dashcam Caught the Whole Thing

Western Journal

Published

on

Every cop knows that death rides with him on every patrol, emerging out of nowhere when a shift may seem routine.

For one Idaho state trooper, that moment almost came on Wednesday along Interstate 84 near the town of Meridian, according to the Idaho Stateman.

Dashcam video of the incident shows that in less time than it takes to read this sentence, the trooper and a motorist he was helping on the shoulder of the highway had to jump over a concrete median as a pickup truck came barreling toward them.

According to an Idaho State Police news release, the trooper had been helping a motorist with a flat tire.

The officer was wearing a yellow safety vest. His patrol car had its emergency lights on and was parked behind the Toyota with the flat tire.

What the dashcam video does not show was described in the release.

“One vehicle began to slow prior to passing the patrol car. That vehicle was hit by another, causing a chain reaction of four eastbound vehicles,” the release said.

But that was not all.

“Two involved pickups were pushed left, sideswiping the parked patrol car and hitting the rear of the Toyota.”

The trooper was taken to a hospital with injuries sustained when he vaulted the concrete barrier, but was sent home with what the release called “minor injuries.”

The owner of the wrecked Toyota was also injured leaping out of the truck’s way, but was not taken to a hospital.

The wreckage from the chain reaction crash blocked the highway for about 90 minutes.

“Traffic stops are very high risk. They’re necessary to keep people safe on the road and to help those stranded, but we need motorists’ help so we can all go home at night,” Idaho State Police Sgt. Brandalyn Crapo said.

“Slowing down and moving over for emergency vehicles and workers isn’t just a courtesy, it’s the law. Drivers need to be alert to emergency lights and vehicles and always alert to what’s happening around them. That keeps all of us safe.”

Idaho law requires drivers to slow down, change lanes or both when passing police and other emergency vehicles that are stopped on the roadway.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Every cop knows that death rides with him on every patrol, emerging out of nowhere when a shift may seem routine. For one Idaho state trooper, that moment almost came on Wednesday along Interstate 84 near the town of Meridian, according to the Idaho Stateman. Dashcam video of the incident shows that in less time than it takes to read this sentence, the trooper and a motorist he was helping on the shoulder of the highway had to jump over a concrete median as a pickup truck came barreling toward them. Idaho State Trooper injured while helping man on the freeway. Notice how quickly the trooper jumped in front of the man. pic.twitter.com/2TuCTIYGdE — Yoshi The Patriot (@rinohuntah) December 3, 2021 According to an Idaho State Police news release, the trooper had been helping a motorist with a flat tire. The officer was wearing a yellow safety vest. His patrol car had its emergency lights on and was parked behind the Toyota with the flat tire. What the dashcam video does not show was described in the release. “One vehicle began to slow prior to passing the patrol car. That vehicle was hit by another, causing a chain reaction of four eastbound vehicles,” the release said. But that was not all. “Two involved pickups were pushed left, sideswiping the parked patrol car and hitting the rear of the Toyota.” The trooper was taken to a hospital with injuries sustained when he vaulted the concrete barrier, but was sent home with what the release called “minor injuries.” The owner of the wrecked Toyota was also injured leaping out of the truck’s way, but was not taken to a hospital. The wreckage from the chain reaction crash blocked the highway for about 90 minutes. “Traffic stops are very high risk. They’re necessary…

Continue Reading

Wire

Store Apologizes After Employee Sign with Instructions on How to Deal with Africans Goes Public

Western Journal

Published

on

An Australian store has been forced to apologize for a sign that warned staff to sound an alert if an African customer entered the store.

An IGA store in Melbourne was pilloried on social media because of a sign behind the counter that read, “If an African customer comes to the bottle shop, presses [sic] the button for assistant immediately! Minimum two staffs in front while we serve Africans,” the sign read, according to Australia’s News.com.au.

In its reporting on the sign, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. said the sign had been in place for three years before it was noticed by anyone and became a social media furor.

“Sure they’re independently owned but the African community should be allowed to feel safe and comfortable at their local supermarket,” a TikTok comment read.

The ABC report quoted the store manager, who it did not name, as offering apologies for any offense.

“We don’t really mean for this, we apologize for what we’ve done. I’m sorry it will never happen again like that,” he said. “I’ve done the wrong thing for the public, we should not do like this.”

The manager said he should have told employees to hit the button if they saw a group of strangers in the store.

“It is my mistake. Big mistake,” he said.

A poster using the name Jack he on Twitter said he was the store manager and offered an explanation.

“Im store manager iGA sunshine west, we got robbed by 5 African men, one of the staff had a gun put to our head, we were scared, Im sorry for that i done,i told the ABC news all the reason behind this, But i don’t see any main point been reported, this is unfair, unfair news,” he tweeted.

ABC reported that a spokesperson for wholesaler Metcash, which operates the IGAs, said the company had the offending sign removed.

“This type of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated in any IGA store across the country,” a spokesman said.

“As part of our ongoing commitment to supporting local communities across Australia, we will ensure ALL IGA employees continue to create a shopping environment where all are welcome and equal,” the spokesman said.

The store now has a new note.

“We would like to apologies [sic] to anyone that got offended by the note we had … it was not our intention to offend,” the note says.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

An Australian store has been forced to apologize for a sign that warned staff to sound an alert if an African customer entered the store. An IGA store in Melbourne was pilloried on social media because of a sign behind the counter that read, “If an African customer comes to the bottle shop, presses [sic] the button for assistant immediately! Minimum two staffs in front while we serve Africans,” the sign read, according to Australia’s News.com.au. In its reporting on the sign, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. said the sign had been in place for three years before it was noticed by anyone and became a social media furor. “Sure they’re independently owned but the African community should be allowed to feel safe and comfortable at their local supermarket,” a TikTok comment read. ‘Completely unacceptable’: IGA supermarket under fire for sign racially profiling African customers https://t.co/83nMJg7SgU — Natalie Spencer (@natscloset) December 2, 2021 The ABC report quoted the store manager, who it did not name, as offering apologies for any offense. “We don’t really mean for this, we apologize for what we’ve done. I’m sorry it will never happen again like that,” he said. “I’ve done the wrong thing for the public, we should not do like this.” The manager said he should have told employees to hit the button if they saw a group of strangers in the store. “It is my mistake. Big mistake,” he said. A poster using the name Jack he on Twitter said he was the store manager and offered an explanation. “Im store manager iGA sunshine west, we got robbed by 5 African men, one of the staff had a gun put to our head, we were scared, Im sorry for that i done,i told the ABC news all the reason behind this, But i don’t see any…

Continue Reading
The Schaftlein Report

Latest Articles

Best of the Week