Connect with us

Wire

Chair of Dems’ Jan. 6 Committee Won’t Rule Out Trump Subpoena: ‘Nobody is Off Limits’

Western Journal

Published

on

Real life doesn’t work like the movies, particularly when it comes to any type of hearing.

In court cases, there’s never a bombshell conclusion like in “A Few Good Men,” where Tom Cruise’s character is able to call Jack Nicholson’s Col. Nathan Jessup to the stand at the last minute. The witness is never caught in a logical trap. There’s never a peroration like, “You can’t handle the truth! … You want me on that wall! You need me on that wall!”

It doesn’t work like that. It’s never worked like that. But nobody’s told Rep. Bennie Thompson.

Thompson is a Mississippi Democrat who was supposed to have raised his profile considerably when he was offered the chair of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s sham commission, officially known as the United States House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack. However, after it became clear the committee was a partisan farce without serious Republican participation being allowed, interest quickly waned.

take our poll - story continues below

Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?

  • Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

The primary news out of the kangaroo-court committee on Thursday was a recommendation that an adviser to former President Donald Trump, Steve Bannon, be dealt a criminal contempt charge for refusing to comply with a subpoena — which probably isn’t the headline-grabbing stuff Thompson imagined he’d be doing when he agreed to take the job.

Thompson managed to grab some headlines later on Thursday, however, when he told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer the prospect of subpoenaing Trump is still very much in play.

“Are you ruling out or ruling in the possibility of eventually subpoenaing Trump?” Blitzer asked Thompson during the interview.

“Well, I would say this at this point, Wolf, nobody is off-limits to a subpoena from this committee,” Thompson said.

“I assume that means the former president, as well,” Blitzer said. Never let it be said that ol’ Wolf is slow on the uptake.

The former president has asserted executive privilege over documents the committee has demanded, although the White House of President Joe Biden has rejected Trump’s assertion because — well, duh.

“I appreciate the White House agreement to look at executive privilege and give us consideration on a lot of the information we want. A lot of what we decide on former President Trump is dependent on what we find in this information,” Thompson told Blitzer, according to The Hill.

“I believe the Biden information and deliberate efforts to make sure that we have access to certain information is crucial to what we do,” he added.

Trump has been readying himself for a legal fight, saying in a statement last month that he would “fight the Subpoenas on Executive Privilege and other grounds,” arguing it would be “for the good of the country.”

Here’s the full interview from Thursday evening:

This isn’t the first time that Thompson has said he’s open to subpoenaing officials like Trump, former Vice President Mike Pence and others. “If the facts themselves lead us to any individual, we will not hesitate to bring them before the committee,” he told PBS NewsHour in July.

Is the Jan. 6 committee a sham?

At some level, of course, Thompson could merely be keeping his options open, but what we know about “the facts themselves” shouldn’t necessitate subpoenas or appearances by Trump, Pence or anyone in their immediate orbit. In fact, the knowledge we’ve gleaned about the Capitol riot since Thompson’s July statement seems to make their appearance even less necessary than it already would have been; Reuters reported in August that sources within the FBI reported no evidence of central planning.

“Ninety to ninety-five percent of these are one-off cases,” an individual described by Reuters as “a former senior law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation” said.

“Then you have five percent, maybe, of these militia groups that were more closely organized,” the official said. “But there was no grand scheme with Roger Stone and Alex Jones and all of these people to storm the Capitol and take hostages.”

But then, these are facts, and that’s not what the Jan. 6 committee is about. Instead, it’s a show of power by a gaggle of Democrats and two NeverTrump Republicans — Reps. Liz Cheney of Wyoming and Adam Kinzinger of Illinois — who are going to drag the specter of the Capitol incursion out until the midterms because they can.

Perhaps I’m reading too much into this, but I noticed a slight but significant shift in Thompson’s statements from July and from Thursday. A few months ago, he told PBS he’d issue a subpoena to Trump or others if “the facts themselves lead us to any individual.” This time, he simply told CNN that “nobody is off-limits to a subpoena from this committee.”

There was no mention about facts or where they might lead the committee — and that’s probably because facts aren’t leading the committee; publicity is, and there’s no bigger publicity draw than the former president.

Will a subpoena produce a “you can’t handle the truth” moment? No.

Is it good for the country? No.

Is it good for Bennie Thompson? Of course it is.

It’s not terribly difficult to see where this is headed if legal experts think Democrats can clear the executive privilege hurdle.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Wire

Stranger Saves Teen Hit by Car, Then Disappears After Rescue

Western Journal

Published

on

Lily Irigoyen, 14, from Escondido, California, was headed to Westfield North County Mall with a friend to do some shopping on May 23 when Irigoyen’s life was turned upside down.

As she was crossing a street — using a crosswalk — a driver failed to stop at a stop sign and hit the teenager. She immediately blacked out.

Two other drivers saw what had happened and raced to help. Police later said that a female good Samaritan called 911 and contacted Irigoyen’s family using her cell phone, and a man performed CPR on the teen’s lifeless body — an act that would later turn out to have made all the difference.

The girl’s mother, Isabel Torres, remembers getting the call that broke her heart.



take our poll - story continues below

Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?

  • Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

“Her dad called me that she was in an accident and she was airlifted to the hospital,” she told KNSD.

Irigoyen had suffered a long list of serious injuries, including a damaged kidney, a broken arm, a broken leg, a broken hip and a punctured lung. Worst of all, she had also suffered a brain injury.

For three weeks, the teen was in a coma. Even after coming out of it, she had to stay at the hospital for six months, recovering. She finally made it home in August, and her mom has hope that she will recover.

“We’re getting there,” Torres told KNSD. “With time, I think she’s going to get better and better.”

Police later said that, while the driver who hit the teen was determined to be at fault, no criminal charges were made.

After a recent checkup, Irigoyen has a new goal: To find and thank the good Samaritan who saved her life.

“The doctor told her that everything that happened and she mentioned that, thanks to the person that assisted at the accident with the CPR, she always had air to her brain and for that main reason, they saved her life,” Torres explained.

“I just like felt, like happy, just the fact that someone had that kindness in their heart to help me was nice,” Irigoyen added. “I just want to say how grateful I am … that they helped me and that I’m alive now because of them.”



The man is believed to be a dental surgeon, according to KGTV, though he has not yet been identified or stepped forward.

“I think they’re angels,” a teary Torres told KGTV. “God put them there for a reason … I think it’s a great time to find them, and tell them what a great thing they did … What they did was just amazing.”

“They saved me!” said Irigoyen. “They’re the reason I’m here right now … I would just hug them. No words to express how thankful I am.”

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Lily Irigoyen, 14, from Escondido, California, was headed to Westfield North County Mall with a friend to do some shopping on May 23 when Irigoyen’s life was turned upside down. As she was crossing a street — using a crosswalk — a driver failed to stop at a stop sign and hit the teenager. She immediately blacked out. Two other drivers saw what had happened and raced to help. Police later said that a female good Samaritan called 911 and contacted Irigoyen’s family using her cell phone, and a man performed CPR on the teen’s lifeless body — an act that would later turn out to have made all the difference. The girl’s mother, Isabel Torres, remembers getting the call that broke her heart. “Her dad called me that she was in an accident and she was airlifted to the hospital,” she told KNSD. Irigoyen had suffered a long list of serious injuries, including a damaged kidney, a broken arm, a broken leg, a broken hip and a punctured lung. Worst of all, she had also suffered a brain injury. For three weeks, the teen was in a coma. Even after coming out of it, she had to stay at the hospital for six months, recovering. She finally made it home in August, and her mom has hope that she will recover. “We’re getting there,” Torres told KNSD. “With time, I think she’s going to get better and better.” Police later said that, while the driver who hit the teen was determined to be at fault, no criminal charges were made. After a recent checkup, Irigoyen has a new goal: To find and thank the good Samaritan who saved her life. “The doctor told her that everything that happened and she mentioned that, thanks to the person that…

Continue Reading

Wire

Brian Laundrie’s Parents Flee Florida Home as ‘For Sale’ Sign Appears Outside

Western Journal

Published

on

Brian Laundrie’s parents may be looking for a new place to live after weeks of scrutiny on the couple.

Their North Port, Florida, home now has a “For Sale by Owner” sign in the front yard, according to the New York Post.

The house became the site of a media circus, with outlets looking for answers in the death of Laundrie’s fiancee Gabby Petito and the whereabouts of Laundrie himself.

Petito’s remains were found at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. Laundrie was found dead at the Carlton Reserve in Sarasota County, Florida in October.

take our poll - story continues below

Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?

  • Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Laundrie’s lawyer announced that he had died by suicide, with a gunshot wound to the head.

As for Chris and Roberta Laundrie, rumors ran rampant that they knew the whereabouts of their son, who was the sole murder suspect in Petito’s death.

The Post reported that neighbors took advantage of the Laundrie couple having the spotlight, with some even renting their front yards to media outlets for up to $3,500 a week in order to pester the pair around the clock.

No charges have been filed against the parents, but their “lack of cooperation” at times during the investigation may have created unnecessary obstacles, according to a North Port police spokesman last month.

According to WNBC-TV, authorities mistook Roberta Laundrie for her son as she drove his Mustang home at the beginning of the manhunt, a move viewed as part of the parents’ resistance to complying fully with investigators early on.

“Other than confusion, it likely changed nothing. We just wanted people to better understand why we thought we knew Brian was in his home,” North Port Police spokesman Josh Taylor said Oct. 29, the outlet reported.

The family’s attorney, Steve Bertolino, has remained firm that his clients fully complied with the investigation, but was talking with law enforcement in November, WFLA-TV reported.

Still, there is no indication as of now that the parents will have charges against them.

If the couple decides to leave their home, they might want to consider changing their names and buying fake mustaches to protect their identity.

Based on the attitude of their current neighbors, it would not be surprising if they were met with hostility wherever they choose to move.

For now, the toughest task will be finding a new owner for the property, which has now become a symbol for one of the most highly followed crime stories of the century.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Brian Laundrie’s parents may be looking for a new place to live after weeks of scrutiny on the couple. Their North Port, Florida, home now has a “For Sale by Owner” sign in the front yard, according to the New York Post. The house became the site of a media circus, with outlets looking for answers in the death of Laundrie’s fiancee Gabby Petito and the whereabouts of Laundrie himself. Petito’s remains were found at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. Laundrie was found dead at the Carlton Reserve in Sarasota County, Florida in October. Laundrie’s lawyer announced that he had died by suicide, with a gunshot wound to the head. As for Chris and Roberta Laundrie, rumors ran rampant that they knew the whereabouts of their son, who was the sole murder suspect in Petito’s death. The Post reported that neighbors took advantage of the Laundrie couple having the spotlight, with some even renting their front yards to media outlets for up to $3,500 a week in order to pester the pair around the clock. No charges have been filed against the parents, but their “lack of cooperation” at times during the investigation may have created unnecessary obstacles, according to a North Port police spokesman last month. According to WNBC-TV, authorities mistook Roberta Laundrie for her son as she drove his Mustang home at the beginning of the manhunt, a move viewed as part of the parents’ resistance to complying fully with investigators early on. “Other than confusion, it likely changed nothing. We just wanted people to better understand why we thought we knew Brian was in his home,” North Port Police spokesman Josh Taylor said Oct. 29, the outlet reported. The family’s attorney, Steve Bertolino, has remained firm that his clients fully complied with the investigation, but was…

Continue Reading
The Schaftlein Report

Latest Articles

Best of the Week