Connect with us

Wire

Desperate for Workers, Oregon McDonald's Begins Hiring 14-Year-Olds

Western Journal

Published

on

Teenagers and fast food are a natural combination, but in a tight labor market they are popping up on both sides of the counter.

For example, a McDonald’s in Medford, Oregon, put a banner out to proclaim its intention of hiring 14- and 15-year olds.

“There are always staffing issues, but this is unheard of,” restaurant operator Heather Coleman told Insider, saying it is a unique time in the 40 years her family has operated McDonald’s franchises.

The young teens have been “a blessing in disguise,” Coleman said.

take our poll - story continues below

Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?

  • Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

“They have the drive and work ethic. They get the technology. They catch on really quickly.”

Coleman had first tried upping the wage for new hires to $15 an hour. That produced a ripple of interest, but she said it was not until she began reaching out to 14- and 15-year-olds that she saw real results.



Although labor laws vary across the country, 14- and 15-year-olds can work in most states.

At the Roanoke Natural Foods Co-op in Roanoke, Virginia, young employees have become the backbone of the staff, said Elizabeth Wilson, the store’s human resources director, according to The Roanoke Times.

“They can do everything,” Wilson said of her youngest workers. “They’re great kids with great work ethic. I would tell other employers to take a chance on young workers. They have the right attitude and they’re willing to work.”

Nathan Webster, who owns Scratch Biscuit Co., said his experience with high school-age workers has been positive.

“Young people get a bad rap these days, but these high schoolers are incredible workers,” he said. “It’s the energy level. The ones we’ve had are aggressive to learn. You give them a task and they do it. They’re eager to learn something new.”

Olivia King, general manager of Mast General Store, said young workers focus on the job.

“They haven’t developed any bad habits. … They’re like sponges. They soak up so much information,” she said.

Daniel Zhao, a senior economist and data scientist at Glassdoor, told CNBC that reaching out to previously untapped populations is essential to surviving the tight labor market.

“We think it’s gotten tighter since earlier in the year,” Zhao said. “Job openings continue to reach record highs and are well above historical levels.”

“At this point, any hiring needs to draw from unemployed workers or pulling workers in from those out of the labor force, which is always hard, and even harder now with pandemic,” he said.

Zhao said the end of enhanced unemployment payments might make a difference, but not right away.

“Some folks were overly optimistic on how much of an impact the labor market would draw from enhanced unemployment benefit programs ending,” he said. “The debate on the empirical data isn’t settled and we will need months to know.”

“There is still a significant level of labor demand and with rising health concerns from the delta variant, it seems likely fewer workers available as a result.”

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Wire

Woman May Have Found Gabby Petito’s Water Bottle Near Site of Brian Laundrie’s Remains

Western Journal

Published

on

Yet another possible development in the Gabby Petito case broke on Sunday.

The case has been widely discussed on the social media platform TikTok, with some users even taking it upon themselves to investigate the mystery.

One prominent TikTok user, Olivia Vitale, found a water bottle in the Carlton Reserve, a Florida park where the remains of Brian Laundrie — Petito’s boyfriend and a person of interest in her murder — were discovered.

It was later noted that the bottle appears identical to one seen in video footage of Petito and Laundrie.

take our poll - story continues below

Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?

  • Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

“So we’re looking for other stuff in the area where Brian Laundrie’s remains were,” Vitale says in a video posted to her TikTok account.

@chroniclesofoliviabackup##justiceforgabbypetito♬ original sound – Olivia


As she walks through an open field, Vitale stops suddenly and voices her surprise upon noticing a water bottle on the ground in front of her.

“There’s a water bottle right here,” she says. “I just found something. I just found something.”

The social media influencer posted another video of her handing the bottle over to authorities and several others describing how she found it. They have garnered millions of views on TikTok.

@chroniclesofoliviabackupWhen I immediately saw it my gut told me it wasn’t just a random bottle♬ original sound – Olivia


A spokesman for the North Port Police Department confirmed that the bottle was indeed handed over to law enforcement, the New York Post reported.


Laundrie’s remains were discovered at the Carlton Reserve on Wednesday.

@chroniclesofoliviabackupPOLICE TOLD US TO THROW AWAY GABBY PETITOS WATERBOTTLE… THEY DIDNT CARE, IM GLAD I KEPT IT. GABBYS FAMILY I WILL RETURN THIS TO YOU♬ original sound – Olivia


The discovery of his remains ended an extensive manhunt involving local, state and federal officials that began shortly after Laundrie disappeared on Sept. 14, two weeks after he returned to his parent’s home in North Port, Florida, after a cross-country road trip.

Despite setting out on the trip with Petito, Laundrie returned alone, setting off nationwide speculation regarding his potential involvement in her disappearance and death.

It remains unclear how Laundrie died. “No manner or cause of death was determined” by his autopsy, the Laundrie family’s attorney announced on Friday.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Yet another possible development in the Gabby Petito case broke on Sunday. The case has been widely discussed on the social media platform TikTok, with some users even taking it upon themselves to investigate the mystery. One prominent TikTok user, Olivia Vitale, found a water bottle in the Carlton Reserve, a Florida park where the remains of Brian Laundrie — Petito’s boyfriend and a person of interest in her murder — were discovered. It was later noted that the bottle appears identical to one seen in video footage of Petito and Laundrie. “So we’re looking for other stuff in the area where Brian Laundrie’s remains were,” Vitale says in a video posted to her TikTok account. @chroniclesofoliviabackup##justiceforgabbypetito♬ original sound – Olivia As she walks through an open field, Vitale stops suddenly and voices her surprise upon noticing a water bottle on the ground in front of her. “There’s a water bottle right here,” she says. “I just found something. I just found something.” The social media influencer posted another video of her handing the bottle over to authorities and several others describing how she found it. They have garnered millions of views on TikTok. @chroniclesofoliviabackupWhen I immediately saw it my gut told me it wasn’t just a random bottle♬ original sound – Olivia A spokesman for the North Port Police Department confirmed that the bottle was indeed handed over to law enforcement, the New York Post reported. Laundrie’s remains were discovered at the Carlton Reserve on Wednesday. @chroniclesofoliviabackupPOLICE TOLD US TO THROW AWAY GABBY PETITOS WATERBOTTLE… THEY DIDNT CARE, IM GLAD I KEPT IT. GABBYS FAMILY I WILL RETURN THIS TO YOU♬ original sound – Olivia The discovery of his remains ended an extensive manhunt involving local, state and federal officials that began shortly after Laundrie disappeared on Sept. 14,…

Continue Reading

Wire

Sodom & Gomorrah High: School Stages Obscene Drag Show During Homecoming Football Game

Western Journal

Published

on

Friday nights in high school are supposed to be remembered for gathering with friends, donning school colors and cheering your school on to a hopeful victory.

Instead, a high school in Burlington, Vermont, made it about sexuality.

On Oct. 15, Burlington High School held a football game at its Buck Hard Stadium. The host Seawolves, with players from Burlington, South Burlington and Winooski high schools, defeated the St. Johnsbury Hilltoppers 35-14, the local outlet Seven Days reported.

However, that event was overshadowed by the immoral display at halftime.

take our poll - story continues below

Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?

  • Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

According to the Daily Mail, the halftime show consisted of a group of students and faculty dressed in drag parading around the field. They began by chanting, “Drag Ball!” before breaking into a lip-sync performance of “Rainbow Reign” by Todrick Hall.

Pictures and videos from the event are horrifying, to say the least.



“We got kings, we got queens, we got in-betweens,” a stadium announcer declared, according to the Daily Mail. “We need you to give it up for all these performers.”

There are so many issues with this event that it’s hard to know where to start, but I’ll try my best to break it down.

First, encouraging students to engage in this type of behavior is completely irresponsible coming from adults. It’s bad enough for staff members to participate in the disturbing event, but some staff members were even more involved.

According to the Daily Mail, Burlington High School’s Gender-Sexuality Alliance was behind the planning for the event. English teacher Andrew LeValley, an adviser for that alliance, was the person who devised the idea for the drag show — and participated.

Seven Days reported that LeValley “channeled Marie Antoinette, with a ruffled taffeta frock and a voluminous blonde pouf wig embellished with jaunty peacock feathers.”

“I was just really hoping to give our students — who are both out and the students that were in the stands who are not out — a moment to shine and feel loved, and know that there is a place for them in public schools,” he said, according to the Daily Mail.

Encouraging students to feel loved is a great goal, but that is not the same thing as pushing them to engage in behavior that, from a Christian perspective, is “detestable” and “shameful” in the eyes of God. In fact, promoting gender dysphoria is one of the least loving things you could do.

The age question is another huge problem with this event. While drag shows and drag bars are becoming more common around the country, most of them are restricted to people ages 18 or older.

In high school, the majority of students are minors.

Actively promoting this content at a school event is morally reprehensible. This sort of behavior is not morally appropriate for anyone to engage in, but it is especially concerning in regards to students who have not even reached adulthood.

Comments by Ezra Totten, the student leader of the Gender-Sexuality Alliance, about the event show just how twisted our society has become.

“Things went amazing,” Totten said, according to the Daily Mail. “The stands were completely packed. It was just so heartwarming to see.”

It is deeply saddening that a student could look at the behavior shown in the above video and call it “heartwarming.” More than anything, that is an indictment of adults such as LeValley who have convinced students that their twisted view of morality should be praised.

As teachers encourage sinful behavior in students who may not even know any better, it is nearly impossible not to think of the words of the epistle of James in the Bible.

“Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly,” James 3:1 says.

The fact that the teachers and orchestrators of this event promoted gender dysphoria and celebrated it openly speaks to our fallen world and our culture’s desperate need for God. We have fallen so far from grace that we’re operating out of the created order and need the redemption only a Savior can provide.

In times where it seems the definitions of wrong and right have been completely confused, our only hope is in the God who is above all things.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Friday nights in high school are supposed to be remembered for gathering with friends, donning school colors and cheering your school on to a hopeful victory. Instead, a high school in Burlington, Vermont, made it about sexuality. On Oct. 15, Burlington High School held a football game at its Buck Hard Stadium. The host Seawolves, with players from Burlington, South Burlington and Winooski high schools, defeated the St. Johnsbury Hilltoppers 35-14, the local outlet Seven Days reported. However, that event was overshadowed by the immoral display at halftime. According to the Daily Mail, the halftime show consisted of a group of students and faculty dressed in drag parading around the field. They began by chanting, “Drag Ball!” before breaking into a lip-sync performance of “Rainbow Reign” by Todrick Hall. Pictures and videos from the event are horrifying, to say the least. VT: Burlington’s high school homecoming drag show leaves LGBTQ+ students with mixed emotions. Principal Lauren McBride waited near the field, her walkie-talkie crackled: “They’re coming out, and they look fabulous.” Child abuse. Gender confusion. At a public school. pic.twitter.com/btqXJBXYf0 — Dalton (@DaltonReport) October 17, 2021 https://youtu.be/pr8_EiteYUM “We got kings, we got queens, we got in-betweens,” a stadium announcer declared, according to the Daily Mail. “We need you to give it up for all these performers.” There are so many issues with this event that it’s hard to know where to start, but I’ll try my best to break it down. First, encouraging students to engage in this type of behavior is completely irresponsible coming from adults. It’s bad enough for staff members to participate in the disturbing event, but some staff members were even more involved. According to the Daily Mail, Burlington High School’s Gender-Sexuality Alliance was behind the planning for the event. English teacher Andrew LeValley,…

Continue Reading
The Schaftlein Report

Latest Articles

Best of the Week