From the very beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, there have been a plethora of Americans who simply are not interested in receiving a COVID-19 vaccine. This is, of course, their right, and they have a myriad of reasons for feeling this way.
Many claim that they don’t trust the “emergency use authorization” that the FDA has given to the vaccine, while others simply won’t be told what to put into their bodies by the government…or anyone else for that matter.
Now, in a blow to the efficacy of the vaccines themselves, the federal government is suggesting that a whole other rounds of shots could be necessary in the not-so-distant future.
Federal health officials said Wednesday that vaccinated Americans will need to get booster shots eight months after receiving their second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to maximize its protection against the virus and extend its durability.
The nation’s leading public health and medical experts from the Department of Health and Human Services announced in a joint statement that the Biden administration is prepared to begin offering the boosters the week of September 20 and starting eight months after Americans received their second doses of Pfizer and Moderna’s two-shot vaccines.
The language being used by the feds was unmistakably stern.
“The plan is for the rule to be simple: Get your booster shot eight months after you got your second shot,” Jeff Zients, the White House COVID-19 response coordinator, said during a briefing Wednesday from the White House COVID-19 Response Team.
The news will do little to help break through a wall of vaccine reluctancy here in the United States, and could bring every more scrutiny to the FDA’s approval process for the previously available vaccines.