Connect with us


Frightening Moment Caught on Camera as 14 People Suddenly Plunge to Their Deaths in Italy

Western Journal



Roughly twenty seconds of terror ended in horrific tragedy as the cable moving a gondola with 15 people above the Italian Alps snapped, causing the cable car to rocket back down the wire, smash into a pylon and dump everyone onto the rocks below.

There was only one survivor — a 5-year-old child.

It was estimated that the cable car reached a speed of 60 miles per hour before crashing and plummeting down.

Trending: Woman Charged with Attempted Murder After Shooting Alleged Home Invader

The disaster took place on May 23, near the summit of the Stresa-Mottarone line in the Piedmont region of Italy.

take our poll - story continues below

Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism? (1)

  • Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

It was brought back into the public eye when Italian public broadcaster Rai 3 released video of the disaster.

Leaked Video Sparks Outrage

WARNING: The following video contains graphic content that some viewers will find disturbing.

Rai 3’s decision was criticized by the head of the public broadcaster, Marcello Foa.

Foa said he had “always respected the editorial choices of the directors and I have always refrained from commenting on them publicly, but as president of Rai in this case I cannot remain silent,” according to the BBC.

“It is a duty for the public service, in circumstances like this, to carefully evaluate all the implications, starting with the ethical ones and respect for the victims and their families,” he added.

Emergency Brake Intentionally Disabled, Authorities Say

An investigation was immediately opened to focus on the emergency brake, according to the BBC.

“Prosecutors say the emergency brake, which could have prevented the accident, had been intentionally disabled. The car reversed at over 100km/h (62mph) on a support cable, passing a support pylon and then plummeting to the ground and rolling down the mountain,” the outlet reported.

Three men connected to Ferrovie Mottarone, which manages the cableway, were quickly arrested in connection to the accident — Luigi Nerini, 56, Gabriele Tadini, 63 and Enrico Perocchio, 51, according to the New York Post.

“A technician has admitted installing a fork-shaped bracket to deactivate the emergency brake, which had reportedly been malfunctioning, earlier this year,” according to the BBC.

An expert examining footage taken years ago indicated that the brake was disabled at least as early as 2014, if not before, although that has not been confirmed.

While authorities believe the emergency brake was intentionally disabled, a motive behind the alleged act was not immediately made clear.

Victims Are Named

A photo obtained from Italian news agency Ansa and taken on May 26, 2021 outside the morgue of the Castelli hospital of Verbania-Pallanza on Lake Maggiore, shows people carrying the coffin of one of the Israeli victims of the cable car crash that occured in nearby Stresa on May 23.

A photo obtained from Italian news agency Ansa and taken on May 26, 2021, outside the morgue of the Castelli hospital of Verbania-Pallanza on Lake Maggiore, shows people carrying the coffin of one of the Israeli victims of the cable car crash that occurred in nearby Stresa on May 23. (Stringer – ANSA – AFP / Getty Images)

The sole survivor — Eitan Biran, 5 — was saved only because his father, Amit, wrapped him up in his arms as the gondola plummeted, a hospital spokesperson told Israeli media, adding that he is suffering from post-traumatic amnesia.

Many of the child’s immediate and extended family also perished: his parents, Amit Biran, 30, and Tal Peleg-Biran, 26; his brother, Tom, 2; and his great-grandparents, Barbara and Yitzhak Cohen, 71 and 81, respectively.

Vittorio Zorloni, 55, his partner, Elisabetta Personini, 37, and their 5-year-old son, Mattia, also perished, as well as scientist Serena Cosetino, 27, and her boyfriend Mohammed Reza Shahisavandi, a 30-year-old student.

Finally, engaged couple Silvia Malnati, 27, and Alessandro Merlo, 29; and Roberta Pistolato, 40, and her boyfriend, 45-year-old Angelo Gasparro, died in the incident.

The last time such a tragedy occurred in Italy was in 1998, when a U.S. military plane flew too close to the ground and clipped a cable car line, causing 20 people to plummet to their death, The Guardian reported.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.


Family Escapes Through 2nd-Story Window During Armed Standoff After Suspect Barricades Door: Report

Western Journal



On July 25, in Auburn, Alabama, a man reportedly put his family, his neighborhood, first responders and himself in a very dangerous position. Calls came into the Auburn Police District around 7:00 p.m. reporting a domestic violence incident in the Camden Ridge Subdivision. When police arrived, the man reportedly began firing at them with a handgun. Police fired back, and the man retreated into the home, where he also had his family trapped in a room. Thanks to the police and fire department coming together and working smarter instead of harder, the situation was resolved without injury to the family members trapped upstairs. It was firefighter Andrew Kiser, Chief of Police Cedric Anderson and Shift Supervisor Lt. Cody Hill who were responsible for carrying out the daring rescue that helped bring the threat to an end. While the shooter refused to exit the house, the men carried a ladder to the house and set it up to reach one of the second-story windows, where they learned the man’s family had been trapped. While Anderson held the ladder steady, Hill climbed the ladder and Kiser assisted the family as they climbed out of the window. With the family out of the way, Lee County SWAT was able to enter the house and capture the suspect. He was taken to Baptist Medical Center South after he was found to have sustained what appeared to be a gunshot wound. “Auburn PD Alerts: Heavy Police Activity in the Camden Ridge Subdivision, in the area of Wedgewood Ct.,” a public safety alert for the area read, according to WRBL-TV. “The scene is secure at this time, NO ONGOING THREAT.” Auburn Assistant Police Chief Clarence Stewart praised the efforts of all involved, highlighting how each group present played an important role in…

Continue Reading


After Receiving Call About Blazing Attic Fire, Police Rescue Man Trapped Inside Smoke-Filled Bedroom

Western Journal



A family in Marlboro Township, New Jersey, woke up just before midnight on Sunday and sensed something was wrong. They called 911 at around 11:38 p.m., reporting a “possible fire at the residence,” according to The Journal NJ. Officers Ryan Anzalone, Donna Gonzalez, Michael Morgante and Colin Murray with the Marlboro Township Police Department were first on the scene and quickly assessed the situation. They found smoke pouring out of the attic, but were relieved to see the family appeared to have exited the home. After a short time, though, the family realized one of their members was not with them, and was likely still trapped inside on the second floor. Gonzalez and Anzalone charged in and found the man, as described, in a bedroom on the second floor. By the time they got there, the room was “completely filled with smoke,” but they managed to rescue the resident. The fire department had a difficult time accessing the home due to the long, narrow driveway and a large landscaping rock. “While enroute Chief 2-66 was advised of heavy smoke from the attic,” the Robertsville Volunteer Fire Co. #1 posted on Facebook. “At the time the mutual aid response plan was put in place and the box alarm was requested to bring in initial assistance.” “Upon the arrival of 2-66 Chief advised the house was located down a 180 foot narrow driveway. Once engine 2-75 arrived there was trouble accessing the house due to a large ornamental boulder and trees. Members of the engine and police moved the 400lb boulder so the engine could get to the house and attack the fire. “As the incident progressed, the second alarm mutual aid plan was requested for this deep seated, hard to access attic fire.” The two officers who…

Continue Reading

Latest Articles

Best of the Week