Where once the Democrats worked overtime to prevent the world from discovering just how desperate they truly are, we now have a progressive posse that has no qualms about flamboyant flailing and unfettered fiasco.
This is most simply observed by keeping a keen eye on the select committee investigating the events of January 6th, who realize that their time is limited by the Democrats’ likely loss of control of Congress at the end of next year. That development would almost undoubtedly see their committee dissolved, hence the reason for their desperate actions and frantic pace.
The latest sign of such a turn comes to us in the form of a criminal contempt charge for Mark Meadows.
Mark Meadows’s cooperation with the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection appears to be over as quickly as it started.
Just one week after the committee announced it had reached an agreement with Donald Trump’s former chief of staff to produce records and appear for an initial deposition, Fox News reported Tuesday morning that Meadows and his attorney were planning to notify lawmakers on the House panel that they could not reach an understanding on how to work together.Trending:
“We have made efforts over many weeks to reach an accommodation with the committee,” Meadows’s attorney George Terwilliger told Fox News, explaining that Meadows had been willing to appear voluntarily to answer questions that he believed were not covered by executive privilege. However, Terwilliger said that over the weekend, the committee made clear it was also planning to look into material that Meadows considered privileged, pointing to a subpoena that had been issued to a third party for Meadows’s cellphone records.
The committee was unmoved by the argument, however.
“If indeed Mr. Meadows refuses to appear, the Select Committee will be left no choice but to advance contempt proceedings and recommend that the body in which Mr. Meadows once served refer him for criminal prosecution,” they said.
“Even as we litigate privilege issues, the Select Committee has numerous questions for Mr. Meadows about records he has turned over to the Committee with no claim of privilege, which include real-time communications with many individuals as the events of January 6th unfolded,” read the statement from Thompson and Cheney. “We also need to hear from him about voluminous official records stored in his personal phone and email accounts, which were required to be turned over to the National Archives in accordance with the Presidential Records Act.”
Meadows is the second Trump adviser to be targeted in such a way by the committee, with Steve Bannon’s contempt trial set to begin in July of 2022.