Connect with us


K9 Dies 'A True Hero' During Shootout, Saves Lives by Diverting Armed Suspect's Attention Away from Officers

Western Journal



In August 2009, in Slovakia, a Belgian Malinois was born. He made his way to the United States, where he eventually met Officer William Cushing, Jr., and was named “Kitt.”

Together, the two were certified through a canine academy, and Kitt began a long and impressive career as a police K9 with the Braintree Police Department in Massachusetts.

Specializing in locating missing people, apprehension, finding crime scene evidence and tracking, Kitt was also a part of the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council SWAT team.

Trending: Woman Charged with Attempted Murder After Shooting Alleged Home Invader

In 2016, Kitt was awarded the Braintree Police Medal of Valor after protecting multiple officers during an “armed confrontation,” according to The Patriot Ledger.

take our poll - story continues below

Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism? (1)

  • Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

In 2020, Kitt successfully found another dangerous suspect who seriously injured others after a “shooting incident.”

On June 4, 2021, Kitt proved his skill and loyalty once more — but he paid the ultimate price this time.

Cushing and two other officers were looking for a suspect known to be armed who had been involved in a domestic dispute near the Braintree Village apartment complex. As they drew close to the suspect, the man began firing at them.

“As the officers approached the suspect’s position, the officers were ambushed and gunfire was exchanged at close range,” a statement concerning the situation read. “Officers Cushing and Donoghue sustained multiple gunshot wounds and Officer Seibert, a former combat medic of the United States Army, provided immediate medical attention before the officers were transported to area hospitals or further treatment.”

“As the suspect repeatedly fired his weapon at very close range at Officers Donoghue, Cushing and Seibert, K9 Kitt heroically advanced towards the subject causing him to turn his attention away from the officers,” the statement continued.

“If not for the actions of K9 Kitt, the circumstances that afternoon could have been dramatically different. K9 Kitt valiantly gave his life for the life of his beloved handler and his partners and died a true hero that afternoon.”

On June 9, a procession was held for the noble canine as his remains were taken to a funeral home.

“K9 Kitt was transported in Officer Cushing’s cruiser driven by a fellow officer as K9 Units from across the state participated in the procession,” the Braintree Police Department shared on Facebook.

The memorial service was held on June 20, and many turned out to honor the loyal dog’s years of service and the gift of his life.

“He took a bullet for his partner and paid the ultimate sacrifice,” Diane Andre, who was in attendance for the procession, told WBTS-CD. “And it is important to be here and respect what he did for 12 years.”

“I think the K-9 did a lot to protect the two officers and without that K-9, there may have been worse results,” another attendee, Gary Roden, said.

The police department’s End Of Watch post for Kitt has been shared thousands of times as people from all over are paying their respects to the brave dog.

“K9 Kitt started with us 12 years ago,” the department wrote in its post. “Going through K9 patrol school, you came out…guns blazing…during your service you apprehended countless criminals, often in the dead of night…through thick brush, and insane weather. You found bad guys, wandered elderly, firearms and other ballistic evidence.

“You were never shy to help out at K9 Demo’s or our Citizen Police / Junior Police Academies. You also never declined a moment to be showcased on our social media.”

“We will forever miss and remember you buddy. Free Time….”

“K9 Kitt. EOW 6/4/21.”

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.


Family Escapes Through 2nd-Story Window During Armed Standoff After Suspect Barricades Door: Report

Western Journal



On July 25, in Auburn, Alabama, a man reportedly put his family, his neighborhood, first responders and himself in a very dangerous position. Calls came into the Auburn Police District around 7:00 p.m. reporting a domestic violence incident in the Camden Ridge Subdivision. When police arrived, the man reportedly began firing at them with a handgun. Police fired back, and the man retreated into the home, where he also had his family trapped in a room. Thanks to the police and fire department coming together and working smarter instead of harder, the situation was resolved without injury to the family members trapped upstairs. It was firefighter Andrew Kiser, Chief of Police Cedric Anderson and Shift Supervisor Lt. Cody Hill who were responsible for carrying out the daring rescue that helped bring the threat to an end. While the shooter refused to exit the house, the men carried a ladder to the house and set it up to reach one of the second-story windows, where they learned the man’s family had been trapped. While Anderson held the ladder steady, Hill climbed the ladder and Kiser assisted the family as they climbed out of the window. With the family out of the way, Lee County SWAT was able to enter the house and capture the suspect. He was taken to Baptist Medical Center South after he was found to have sustained what appeared to be a gunshot wound. “Auburn PD Alerts: Heavy Police Activity in the Camden Ridge Subdivision, in the area of Wedgewood Ct.,” a public safety alert for the area read, according to WRBL-TV. “The scene is secure at this time, NO ONGOING THREAT.” Auburn Assistant Police Chief Clarence Stewart praised the efforts of all involved, highlighting how each group present played an important role in…

Continue Reading


After Receiving Call About Blazing Attic Fire, Police Rescue Man Trapped Inside Smoke-Filled Bedroom

Western Journal



A family in Marlboro Township, New Jersey, woke up just before midnight on Sunday and sensed something was wrong. They called 911 at around 11:38 p.m., reporting a “possible fire at the residence,” according to The Journal NJ. Officers Ryan Anzalone, Donna Gonzalez, Michael Morgante and Colin Murray with the Marlboro Township Police Department were first on the scene and quickly assessed the situation. They found smoke pouring out of the attic, but were relieved to see the family appeared to have exited the home. After a short time, though, the family realized one of their members was not with them, and was likely still trapped inside on the second floor. Gonzalez and Anzalone charged in and found the man, as described, in a bedroom on the second floor. By the time they got there, the room was “completely filled with smoke,” but they managed to rescue the resident. The fire department had a difficult time accessing the home due to the long, narrow driveway and a large landscaping rock. “While enroute Chief 2-66 was advised of heavy smoke from the attic,” the Robertsville Volunteer Fire Co. #1 posted on Facebook. “At the time the mutual aid response plan was put in place and the box alarm was requested to bring in initial assistance.” “Upon the arrival of 2-66 Chief advised the house was located down a 180 foot narrow driveway. Once engine 2-75 arrived there was trouble accessing the house due to a large ornamental boulder and trees. Members of the engine and police moved the 400lb boulder so the engine could get to the house and attack the fire. “As the incident progressed, the second alarm mutual aid plan was requested for this deep seated, hard to access attic fire.” The two officers who…

Continue Reading

Latest Articles

Best of the Week