Linkedin Share
Politics

Text Messages from January 5th and 6th Erased by Secret Service

Linkedin Share

As the nation continues to be inundated with all manner of takes on the events of January 6th, 2021, there are number of disparate investigations that seek to shed light on the behind-the-scenes machinations of it all.

And, as these probes unfold, there is bound to be the requisite amount of conflict between government agencies who find themselves ensnared in the probe.  This week, that tension came to us from the Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security.

A watchdog says the U.S. Secret Service deleted many of the text messages sent during a two-day period surrounding the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

The inspector general for the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees the agency, told Congress the messages were deleted after his office asked for them.

The discovery was made as part of the watchdog’s investigation into the deadly siege last year and will likely play into the probe being led by the House select committee investigating the attack.

Trending:
Massive Migrant Caravan Marches Toward US with LGBT Flags Flying as Mexican President Snubs Biden at Summit

The news was first reported by The Intercept.

“The Department notified us that many U.S. Secret Service (USSS) text messages from January 5 and 6, 2021, were erased as part of a device-replacement program,” Inspector General Joseph Cuffari wrote to top members of congressional Homeland Security committees. “The USSS erased those messages after OIG requested records of electronic communications from the USSS, as part of our evaluation of the events at the Capitol on January 6.”

The Secret Service brought a swift rebuke to the conversation.

Anthony Guglielmi, chief of communications for the Secret Service, disputed the IG’s account.

“The insinuation that the Secret Service maliciously deleted text messages following a request is false, Guglielmi said in a statement. “In fact, the Secret Service has been fully cooperating with the OIG in every respect – whether it be interviews, documents, emails, or texts.”

The spokesman said the agency had started to reset its mobile phones in January 2021 as part of a months-long migration plan. The agency said messages were not requested until the following month. It also disputed any claims the agency hasn’t cooperated fully with the watchdog’s probe.

This isn’t the first scandal that the Secret Service has had to deal with in the last week, after White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson testified that then-President Donald Trump had “lunged” at an officer driving in his motorcade in an attempt to be taken to the US Capitol on January 6th.  Several agents quickly looked to correct the record on that claim, stating that never “lunged” at anyone.

Submit a Correction →



Linkedin Share
About the Author:
As a lifelong advocate for the dream promised us in the Constitution, Andrew West has spent his years authoring lush prose editorial dirges regarding America's fall from grace and her path back to prosperity. When West isn't railing against the offensive whims of the mainstream media or the ideological cruelty that is so rampant in the US, he spends his time seeking adventurous new food and fermented beverages, with the occasional round of golf peppered in.




Conversation