Connect with us

Wire

3 Misfires and a Dire Warning Hit ‘Rust’ Set Before Baldwin Fatally Shot Woman: Report

Western Journal

Published

on

antisemitism

Numerous crew members walked off the set of the Alec Baldwin film “Rust” in protest hours before the actor fatally shot cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on Thursday, while others had shared concerns about safety, according to reports.

The Los Angeles Times reported it had spoken with three crew members who were on the set of the film at Bonanza Creek Ranch in north central New Mexico leading up to the fatal shot that would ultimately leave Hutchins, 42, dead.

Those members complained that the low-budget film in which Baldwin was both starring in and producing, were not following standard safety protocols. The Times reported it had reviewed a text message sent by one of the crew members to the film’s unit production manager just before a live round was fired by Baldwin during filming.

“We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe,” that message reportedly read.

take our poll - story continues below

Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?

  • Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Per the sources, there had been a number of incidents with a prop gun on set, and nothing was done about it. In one incident, Baldwin’s stunt double had reportedly fired two rounds from a gun after being told it was inoperable, or “cold.”

“There should have been an investigation into what happened,” one of those people told the Times, citing issues with gun safety. “There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again.”

“All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush,” the source added.

Not only were issues about three total prop gun safety incidents shared by multiple people working on the film, but six camera crew workers had walked off the job to protest their working conditions on the day of the tragedy. Complaints included long waits for paychecks, long hours on set and long commutes to the remote ranch in Santa Fe County.

Rust Movie Productions said in a statement that it was unaware of concerns over safety regarding the film’s production.

“The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company, ” a statement read. “Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down.”

“We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time,” Rust Film Productions added.

Hutchins was killed by a bullet fired by Baldwin on day 12 of what was slated to be a 21-day shoot for the Western. Behind her stood film director Joel Souza, 48, who was struck by the same bullet and is still recovering.

A crew member who spoke to the Associated Press described what happened immediately following Hutchins’ shooting.

“I ran out and called 911 and said ‘Bring everybody, send everybody,’” “Rust” script supervisor Mamie Mitchell told the AP. “This woman is gone at the beginning of her career. She was an extraordinary, rare, very rare woman.”

It is not clear what caliber of weapon was being used, but the AP reported Saturday that Baldwin’s weapon was loaded with live rounds rather than blanks. The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office has obtained a warrant to search the film set and to examine the scene, film footage and a costume Baldwin was wearing when he fired the fatal shot.

Baldwin reportedly picked up one of three guns that were made available for filming Thursday by armorer Hannah Gutierrez.

The actor, known for being fervently opposed to firearms online, expressed regret over the incident in a statement he posted on social media on Friday.

“There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours,” Baldwin wrote on Twitter. “I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Wire

State Trooper Came Mere Inches from Losing His Life, Dashcam Caught the Whole Thing

Western Journal

Published

on

Every cop knows that death rides with him on every patrol, emerging out of nowhere when a shift may seem routine.

For one Idaho state trooper, that moment almost came on Wednesday along Interstate 84 near the town of Meridian, according to the Idaho Stateman.

Dashcam video of the incident shows that in less time than it takes to read this sentence, the trooper and a motorist he was helping on the shoulder of the highway had to jump over a concrete median as a pickup truck came barreling toward them.

According to an Idaho State Police news release, the trooper had been helping a motorist with a flat tire.

The officer was wearing a yellow safety vest. His patrol car had its emergency lights on and was parked behind the Toyota with the flat tire.

What the dashcam video does not show was described in the release.

“One vehicle began to slow prior to passing the patrol car. That vehicle was hit by another, causing a chain reaction of four eastbound vehicles,” the release said.

But that was not all.

“Two involved pickups were pushed left, sideswiping the parked patrol car and hitting the rear of the Toyota.”

The trooper was taken to a hospital with injuries sustained when he vaulted the concrete barrier, but was sent home with what the release called “minor injuries.”

The owner of the wrecked Toyota was also injured leaping out of the truck’s way, but was not taken to a hospital.

The wreckage from the chain reaction crash blocked the highway for about 90 minutes.

“Traffic stops are very high risk. They’re necessary to keep people safe on the road and to help those stranded, but we need motorists’ help so we can all go home at night,” Idaho State Police Sgt. Brandalyn Crapo said.

“Slowing down and moving over for emergency vehicles and workers isn’t just a courtesy, it’s the law. Drivers need to be alert to emergency lights and vehicles and always alert to what’s happening around them. That keeps all of us safe.”

Idaho law requires drivers to slow down, change lanes or both when passing police and other emergency vehicles that are stopped on the roadway.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Every cop knows that death rides with him on every patrol, emerging out of nowhere when a shift may seem routine. For one Idaho state trooper, that moment almost came on Wednesday along Interstate 84 near the town of Meridian, according to the Idaho Stateman. Dashcam video of the incident shows that in less time than it takes to read this sentence, the trooper and a motorist he was helping on the shoulder of the highway had to jump over a concrete median as a pickup truck came barreling toward them. Idaho State Trooper injured while helping man on the freeway. Notice how quickly the trooper jumped in front of the man. pic.twitter.com/2TuCTIYGdE — Yoshi The Patriot (@rinohuntah) December 3, 2021 According to an Idaho State Police news release, the trooper had been helping a motorist with a flat tire. The officer was wearing a yellow safety vest. His patrol car had its emergency lights on and was parked behind the Toyota with the flat tire. What the dashcam video does not show was described in the release. “One vehicle began to slow prior to passing the patrol car. That vehicle was hit by another, causing a chain reaction of four eastbound vehicles,” the release said. But that was not all. “Two involved pickups were pushed left, sideswiping the parked patrol car and hitting the rear of the Toyota.” The trooper was taken to a hospital with injuries sustained when he vaulted the concrete barrier, but was sent home with what the release called “minor injuries.” The owner of the wrecked Toyota was also injured leaping out of the truck’s way, but was not taken to a hospital. The wreckage from the chain reaction crash blocked the highway for about 90 minutes. “Traffic stops are very high risk. They’re necessary…

Continue Reading

Wire

Store Apologizes After Employee Sign with Instructions on How to Deal with Africans Goes Public

Western Journal

Published

on

An Australian store has been forced to apologize for a sign that warned staff to sound an alert if an African customer entered the store.

An IGA store in Melbourne was pilloried on social media because of a sign behind the counter that read, “If an African customer comes to the bottle shop, presses [sic] the button for assistant immediately! Minimum two staffs in front while we serve Africans,” the sign read, according to Australia’s News.com.au.

In its reporting on the sign, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. said the sign had been in place for three years before it was noticed by anyone and became a social media furor.

“Sure they’re independently owned but the African community should be allowed to feel safe and comfortable at their local supermarket,” a TikTok comment read.

The ABC report quoted the store manager, who it did not name, as offering apologies for any offense.

“We don’t really mean for this, we apologize for what we’ve done. I’m sorry it will never happen again like that,” he said. “I’ve done the wrong thing for the public, we should not do like this.”

The manager said he should have told employees to hit the button if they saw a group of strangers in the store.

“It is my mistake. Big mistake,” he said.

A poster using the name Jack he on Twitter said he was the store manager and offered an explanation.

“Im store manager iGA sunshine west, we got robbed by 5 African men, one of the staff had a gun put to our head, we were scared, Im sorry for that i done,i told the ABC news all the reason behind this, But i don’t see any main point been reported, this is unfair, unfair news,” he tweeted.

ABC reported that a spokesperson for wholesaler Metcash, which operates the IGAs, said the company had the offending sign removed.

“This type of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated in any IGA store across the country,” a spokesman said.

“As part of our ongoing commitment to supporting local communities across Australia, we will ensure ALL IGA employees continue to create a shopping environment where all are welcome and equal,” the spokesman said.

The store now has a new note.

“We would like to apologies [sic] to anyone that got offended by the note we had … it was not our intention to offend,” the note says.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

An Australian store has been forced to apologize for a sign that warned staff to sound an alert if an African customer entered the store. An IGA store in Melbourne was pilloried on social media because of a sign behind the counter that read, “If an African customer comes to the bottle shop, presses [sic] the button for assistant immediately! Minimum two staffs in front while we serve Africans,” the sign read, according to Australia’s News.com.au. In its reporting on the sign, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. said the sign had been in place for three years before it was noticed by anyone and became a social media furor. “Sure they’re independently owned but the African community should be allowed to feel safe and comfortable at their local supermarket,” a TikTok comment read. ‘Completely unacceptable’: IGA supermarket under fire for sign racially profiling African customers https://t.co/83nMJg7SgU — Natalie Spencer (@natscloset) December 2, 2021 The ABC report quoted the store manager, who it did not name, as offering apologies for any offense. “We don’t really mean for this, we apologize for what we’ve done. I’m sorry it will never happen again like that,” he said. “I’ve done the wrong thing for the public, we should not do like this.” The manager said he should have told employees to hit the button if they saw a group of strangers in the store. “It is my mistake. Big mistake,” he said. A poster using the name Jack he on Twitter said he was the store manager and offered an explanation. “Im store manager iGA sunshine west, we got robbed by 5 African men, one of the staff had a gun put to our head, we were scared, Im sorry for that i done,i told the ABC news all the reason behind this, But i don’t see any…

Continue Reading
The Schaftlein Report

Latest Articles

Best of the Week