Connect with us

Wire

Transgender Runner Ruled Ineligible for Olympic Trials Over Testosterone Rule

Western Journal

Published

on

A transgender runner has been ruled ineligible to compete in the Olympic trials because he did not meet the World Athletics’ testosterone requirements.

CeCe Telfer, a man who identifies as a woman, was entered to compete in the women’s 400-meter hurdles at the Olympic trials in Eugene, Oregon, The Associated Press reported.

USA Track & Field said Telfer would be able to compete in future events if he was able to get his testosterone levels below 5 nanomoles per liter or more, for a span of 12 months.

Trending: Olympian and Coach Withdrew from Games to Avoid Facing Israeli – Now They've Been Suspended

The testosterone level — an amount much higher than the International Association of Athletics Federations’ considered healthy level of up to 1.79 nmol/L for women — was set by World Athletics’ 2019 guidelines that shut off international women’s events between 400 meters and a mile to athletes exceeding testosterone levels of 5 nmol/L.

take our poll - story continues below

Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism?

  • Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

The USATF said in a statement that athletes must meet the requirements to be a member of the U.S. Olympic team, governed by World Athletics, in order to compete in the trials.

“Following notification from World Athletics on June 17 that the conditions had not yet been met, USATF provided CeCe with the eligibility requirements and, along with World Athletics, the opportunity to demonstrate her eligibility so that she could compete at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials,” the statement read.

“According to subsequent notification to CeCe from World Athletics on June 22, she has not been able to demonstrate her eligibility.”

Telfer’s manager said the athlete would respect the decision.

“CeCe has turned her focus towards the future and is continuing to trail,” manager David McFarland said.

“She will compete on the national — and world — stage again soon.”

Telfer competed for the men’s team at Division II Franklin Pierce but later competed for the women’s team after taking some time off from the sport.

Telfer won the women’s NCAA title in 2019.

The USATF added in its statement that it “strongly supports inclusivity and providing a clear path to participation in the sport for all, while also maintaining competitive fairness.”

“If CeCe meets the conditions for transgender athlete participation in the future, we wholeheartedly back her participation in international events as a member of Team USATF.”

Although Telfer was ruled ineligible, New Zealand weightlifter Laurel Hubbard is set to be the first transgender athlete to compete in the Olympics after meeting the eligibility requirements, the Washington Examiner reported.

Hubbard, also a man who identifies as female, will compete in the women’s heavyweight 87-kg category on Aug. 2.

The Tokyo Olympics were scheduled to take place in 2020, but were postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. The games are expected to begin at the end of July.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Wire

Sheriff's Helicopter Swoops In on People Trapped by Floodwaters, Camera Catches Daring Rescue in First-Person View

Western Journal

Published

on

As floodwaters deluged parts of Arizona, a daring helicopter rescue Friday plucked two people from a mobile home that was caught in fast-moving water. Monsoons struck Arizona last week, triggering severe flooding. Drivers who tried to make their way across flooded roads, despite advice to avoid driving, often became stranded. Floodwaters rushed through streets in Flagstaff, Arizona after storms brought heavy rainfall. Weather warnings have been issued to locals residents to warn of more flooding and heavy downpour. pic.twitter.com/X8lHGS8yEK — Newsweek (@Newsweek) July 19, 2021 On Friday, Daisy Mountain Fire and Rescue received a report of a mobile home that was caught in the flooding in New River. The water was too high for any ground units to reach those trapped inside. Authorities reported that water was pouring through the windows of the mobile home, and officials were afraid it would tip over, according to KNXV-TV. That left one option — an air rescue. A Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office helicopter flew to the partially submerged vehicle. In a video released by the sheriff’s office, which dramatically shows the extent of the waters rampaging through New River’s streets, the helicopter closes in on a vehicle with two people sitting on it, only a few feet from the rapidly rising water. We are here to provide #safety to our community but please be mindful of the dangers posed by moving water and entering flooded areas. Here’s a video of our MCSO aviation unit rescuing a driver after his vehicle got stuck in a wash. pic.twitter.com/tO3TL12tPw — Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office (@mcsoaz) July 24, 2021 “We are here to provide #safety to our community but please be mindful of the dangers posed by moving water and entering flooded areas. Here’s a video of our MCSO aviation unit rescuing a driver after his vehicle…

Continue Reading

Wire

Off-Duty Firefighter Jumped by Mob Who Tell Him It's 'Fight Night' Before Brutal Beating

Western Journal

Published

on

Asking for a little old-fashioned respect can be the prelude to a beatdown in Mayor Bill de Blasio’s New York City. The New York Post has released video of a Friday night incident in which a rabid mob of teenagers surrounded and then attacked an off-duty firefighter as he walked his dog near his home in the borough of Queens. Republican mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa, who founded the civic protection group the Guardian Angels in 1979, posted the video to Twitter. Warning: The following video contains graphic images and language that some readers will find disturbing. Last night in Middle Village a mob of kids attacked a man who asked them to stop blasting fireworks. #NYPD from the 104th precinct were there but did nothing. The community reached out to #NYC Mayoral candidate #CurtisSliwa & the #GuardianAngels to find these vicious teens pic.twitter.com/uVJkBUJ0L1 — Curtis Sliwa for NYC Mayor (@CurtisSliwa) July 24, 2021 The 44-year-old victim, whose name was not released by the Post, said he is among those who have objected to the deterioration of his community,  and taken the dangerous stand of telling teenagers to behave as if rules really mattered. Retribution for preaching civility arrived Friday night. “There were at least 100 kids … I was walking my dog. They just picked me out and approached me,” the firefighter told the Post in a Saturday interview. “One kid took his shirt off and said, ‘it’s fight night!’ He said he was 19 and said, ‘I could fight you.’ Everyone took their cell phones out. There were cell phones everywhere,” the victim said. “They all came at me…A kid came up behind me and hit me in the back of the head with a bottle and I let go of the dog,” he said. With the dog barking…

Continue Reading

Latest Articles

Best of the Week