Late in the evening in Tuesday night, the Department of Justice released a court filing in which they oppose the appointment of a third party “special master” to examine just what documents were taken from Donald Trump’s home in an FBI raid earlier this month.
The DOJ has already stated that the FBI’s “filter team” has combed through the documents, leaving there no need for this auxiliary examination. Skeptical observers have found the excuse to be unsatisfactory, however, given the fact that it was the FBI themselves who raided Mar-a-Lago.
Now, in response to the filing, Donald Trump has suggested again that the items taken from his home were already declassified, by him, during his time in office.
In the 40-page response filed Tuesday, the Justice Department opposed the appointment of a special master to review documents seized from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, saying he “lacks standing” because the records in question belong to the United States, not him. In addition, the DOJ’s filing said documents were likely “concealed and removed from the Storage Room and that efforts were likely taken to obstruct the government’s investigation.”
This set Trump off.
In a flurry of Truth Social posts Wednesday morning, Trump said it was “terrible” that the FBI “during the Raid of Mar-a-Lago, threw documents haphazardly all over the floor (perhaps pretending it was me that did it!), and then started taking pictures of them for the public to see. Thought they wanted them kept Secret? Lucky I Declassified!”
Suspicions were raised about the raid earlier, after it was revealed that the FBI also absconded with the former President’s passports before being forced to admit their wrongdoing and return them.