Please disable your Ad Blocker to better interact with this website.

Connect with us

News

WATCH: Man Who Handmade 58 Wooden Crosses to Honor Las Vegas Victims Returns One Year Later

Published

on

October 1st marked one year since the horrific and unexplained massacre at the Route 66 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas, Nevada.

You may have missed the anniversary this week amid all the noise about Kavanaugh, and it’s certainly been hard to pay attention to anything else, the way that story has dominated the news cycle.

But the families of the victims and many other Americans still took time out of their day on Monday to honor the lives lost on that fateful, unimaginably awful day.

take our poll - story continues below

Who should replace Nikki Haley as our ambassador to the U.N.?

  • Who should replace Nikki Haley as our ambassador to the U.N.?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Flag And Cross updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

One man who joined those mourning was Illinois carpenter Greg Zanis, whose humble contribution to the efforts to memorialize the Las Vegas victims last year made national news.

Trending: Pledge of Allegiance Dropped at San Francisco School Board Meeting. Here’s What They Replaced it With.

Zanis had traveled from Illinois with 58 hand-crafted wooden crosses, one for each victim, which were placed below the iconic Welcome to Las Vegas sign.

These crosses have now been placed permanently in a museum, but to commemorate the one-year anniversary, Zanis made a trip back to Vegas: with 58 new crosses.

Last year, Greg Zanis with Crosses For Losses, made 58 handmade crosses for those that were lost on 1 October. These…

Posted by Combined Communications Center on Sunday, September 30, 2018

Western Journal reports:

As he places the crosses at the memorial site, he said it’s all he can do not to cry.

Zanis wants the Las Vegas community to know that they are remembered, that each name on the cross is important.

“Just doing it for the families to show that we do care,” Zanis told KVVU-TV. “It’s been a year and just imagine what a family’s gone through.”

Such a beautiful and humbling act.

While so many Americans seem to be at each other’s throats these days, the Las Vegas shooting has already become a distant memory in our lightning-quick news cycle.

But for the families of the victims, their journey through grief is just beginning. God bless this man for taking the time to consider their suffering and serve them in this touching way.

Crosses return to Welcome sign

ICYMI: Fifty-eight crosses made by Greg Zanis returned to the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign today, honoring the lives lost on 1 October. Faith Tanner explains why.Details: https://bit.ly/2zDy9Pk

Posted by FOX5 Las Vegas on Friday, September 28, 2018

 

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.


Latest Articles

Send this to a friend